We are aware of technical issues relating to our School Search and potentially other areas on our website and are working on a resolution. If you are not able to view the information you are seeking on our site, please check back again later today. Thank you for your patience!

Understanding English Learner (EL) Education: Questions and Answers

Understanding English Learner (EL) Education: Questions and Answers

How can my child receive EL education?

When you enroll your child in a public or charter school, you will be given a home language survey that asks what language or languages are spoken in your home and what language your child speaks most often. If English is not your primary language, the school must communicate with you in your preferred language.

After you return the language survey, the school will test your child's ability to understand, speak, read, and write in his or her primary language and in English. If your child has limited ability to understand, speak, read, or write in English, the school will let you know that he or she qualifies for the EL program. The school will also explain the methods it will use to teach English to your child.

Please note that the residency requirement for ELs is the same as for any other enrolling student, and schools may not ask about immigration status as part of the enrollment process.

Will my child or my family face discrimination for not speaking English?

Teachers and administrators are required to accommodate the needs of families from all backgrounds and cultures. The school must make sure that students and families are not mistreated, either by school staff or other students, because of their language, culture, or customs. If your student is not receiving adequate services, you can reach out to the Education Law Center. Learn more here or call them at 215-238-6970.

How much direct English-language instruction will my child receive?

The amount of direct instruction called English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) or English as a Second Language (ESL) depends on your childs current ability to understand, speak, read, and write in English. There are five levels of English proficiency:

  • Level 1: Entering
  • Student has no English skills. Students at this level should receive 2 to 3 hours of ESOL every day.
  • Level 2: Emerging
  • Student has limited listening and speaking skills. Students at this level should receive 2 hours of ESOL every day.
  • Level 3: Developing
  • Student can use simple phrases in speaking and writing. Students at this level should receive 1 to 2 hours of ESOL every day.
  • Level 4: Expanding
  • Student is becoming comfortable with speaking routine English and can understand and express ias in writing with some errors. Students at this level should receive 1 hour of ESOL every day.
  • Level 5: Bridging
  • Student shows fluent speaking skills and writing skills near grade level. Students at this level should receive up to 1 hour of ESOL or need-based support every day.

Your child's English proficiency will be evaluated periodically to make adjustments to his or her specific program.

Will the school's ESOL teachers speak my child's primary language?

Probably not. ESOL teachers have special training and must be certified to teach ELs, but they are not required to be bilingual.

However, when the school communicates with you about your child, it must provide documents written in your primary language and must provide an interpreter for any face-to-face meetings.

In addition to ESOL, what other EL support will the school offer my child?

The teachers in your child's academic classes must make sure that he or she is able to understand the subject material being taught (such as math, science, or social studies). When needed in a particular subject, the school may offer bilingual instruction, modified instruction in English, or other extra help. Academic tests must also be adapted to your child's needs when necessary.

Although standardized tests such as the PSSA are given in English, the school must make accommodations if necessary to help your child succeed. Accommodations may include giving instructions for the test in your child's primary language.

Does the school district offer any bilingual education programs?

The district offers the Transitional Bilingual Education (TBE) program, for elementary-school students whose first language is Spanish, gradually shifts the primary language of instruction from Spanish to English between kindergarten and Grade 5.

The Newcomers Learning Academy (NLA), located within Franklin Learning Center, is a four-year program for students aged 14-20 who have arrived in the United States within the past year. At its core, it is an accelerated and intensive course of English language study. NLA provides extra support for students who have gaps in their formal education.

To encourage an appreciation of multiculturalism, the district also offers a Dual Language (DL) program that joins ELs with English-speaking students. In the program, half of the subjects are taught in Spanish and half in English.

Will my ELL student have an Individualized Education Program (IEP)?

Probably not. ELL status is not considered a learning disability. ELs who are found to have learning disabilities are entitled to full special education services in addition to ESOL classes. See Understanding Special Education for more information.

More Information

Rights of English Language Learners (ELL) and Families with Limited English Proficiency from the Education Law Center

The School District of Philadelphia's Office of Multilingual Curriculum and Programs

Pennsylvania ELL Law from the Pennsylvania Department of Education

More information

Looking for more information on finding a great school? See all articles here.

Sign up for our GreatPhillySchools mailing list to stay in the loop and receive updates about application deadlines, learning resources for students, schools with open seats, events and more.