George Washington Carver High School of Engineering and Science
Carver HSES is a small, magnet school for academically talented, motivated, and college-bound students interested in the sciences, mathematics, engineering, technology, and medicine.
Our goals are to prepare our students with the academic and personal skills for collegiate success and to empower our students with the social and leadership skills to be lifelong learners and productive citizens.
Points Of Pride
- 2019 National Blue Ribbon award winner
- College bound: 100% college acceptance rate with $18.1 million in scholarships by class of 2020
- Rigorous academic program: 16 Advanced Placement courses, dual enrollment
- Academic competitions: SeaPerch Competition; ACE Design; Citywide Calculus Competition; Computer Science Fair; MESA National Engineering Design Challenge, Quizbowl
- Partnerships: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, ACE Mentoring, Outward Bound, Big Brothers / Big Sisters, Women of Tomorrow, Steppingstone Scholars, Squash Smarts, Mighty Writers, Naval Sea Systems Command, Temple, Penn, Lehigh, and Drexel
Admissions PolicyStudents must meet specific grades (A's, & B's) and attendance marks (95%). Writing sample required.
Accreditations and Honors
2019 National Blue Ribbon award winner
2018 Top 5 School according School District of Philadelphia's School Progress Report;
2017 Peer Leader according School District of Philadelphia's School Progress Report; 2016 Peer Leader according School District of Philadelphia's School Progress Report; 2016 Accepted to National Consortium for Secondary STEM Schools; 2015 City Leader according School District of Philadelphia's School Progress Report; 2014-15 #2 ranked school based on Pennsylvania's School Performance Profile; 2013 Governor's Award for Academic Excellence; 2010 Middle States Accreditation; 2008 National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence; Recognized by: US News & World Report's "Best High Schools in America" Silver Commendation, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016; 2017
Hours of Operation