Green Woods Charter School
To nurture our students as knowledgeable and conscientious investigators by fostering a keen understanding of their interdependence of and our impact on our local and global existence; creating active young stewards of the natural world.
Points Of Pride
In 2022 GWCS celebrates 20 years of educating active young stewards of the natural world! We are proud to serve Philadelphia students at our new facility in the Roxborough section of the city.
Our new 60,000-square-foot school has a multi-acre outdoor learning laboratory consisting of a pond, streams, wetlands and more. Inside and outside the classroom, students gain 21st Century skills taking an active role in solving issues that affect them, their communities, and the environment. Our families play a significant role in supporting our students and learning community.
Green Woods Charter School was recognized as an Eco-School USA in 2018. Eco‐Schools USA is a nationwide program that engages Pre K‐12 school students, faculty, administrators and community volunteers in a comprehensive, environment based program to improve student environmental literacy and skills.
Inside and outside the classroom, students gain 21st Century skills taking an active role in solving issues that affect them, their communities, and the environment.
We are mandated by the School District of Philadelphia to enroll a minimum of 75% of incoming lottery students from our local catchment area. The catchment area is defined by those families whose District school assignments would be one of the following: Mifflin School, Shawmont School, Cook-Wissahickon School, or Dobson School. Applications for the 2019-20 school year will be accepted through Apply Philly Charter.
Accreditations and Honors
Consistently ranked as one of the top 10 Charter School in the city of Philadelphia!
- 2018 - ECO-Schools USA recognition by the National Wildlife Federation
- 2014 - Awarded National Recognition as a Model EIC School.
- 2013 - State School Performance Profile of 89.5 making Green Woods a top tiered charter school among all charters in the state of Pennsylvania.
- 2012 Ranked #1 - Highest School Performance -Rating by the School District of Philadelphia
- 2011 Named a "Top City School" by Philadelphia Magazine
- 2009 Social Studies Program of the Year Award
- 2008 Finalist Philadelphia Sustainability Award
- 2007 Governor's Award for Environmental Excellence
- 2006 PDE Exemplary School for Environmental Education Award
Hours of Operation
|Mon||8:00 AM - 3:30 PM|
|Tues||8:00 AM - 3:30 PM|
|Wed||8:00 AM - 3:30 PM|
|Thur||8:00 AM - 3:30 PM|
|Fri||8:00 AM - 3:30 PM|