Philadelphia Performing Arts: A String Theory Charter School (Vine Street Campus)
- Application Deadline
- Extended Day
Before Care;After Care
- Graduation Rate
To educate each student according to age and development so that learning and growth are united; to integrate the developing mind and body of the student through academics and the performing arts and sciences; to ensure each student's excellence in core and academic skills; to awaken and preserve the spirit of our students through the visual and digital arts, vocal arts, instrumental music, creative writing, classical ballet, foreign language, innovations in the field of science, all intertwined with technology, and; to nourish this spirit and curiosity so that students continue to flourish long after the end of formal training.
Points Of Pride
- Apple has chosen Philadelphia Performing Arts to produce and publicize an education feature of the school on the company's website. The school is leading the Pennsylvania Department of Education's move towards writing state standards in curriculum in iTunes U.
- Our Majors Program (grades 5-12) enables students to cultivate knowledge and skill in an artistic or academic content area of study. Major courses involve various performing arts, visual arts, digital design, and S.T.E.M. Students spend 90 minutes each day in their Major.
- The Vine Street Campus houses incubator start-up companies in areas such as coding, fashion, marketing, and gaming; their work is integrated into the school's curriculum. Additionally, the companies provide internship and entrepreneurial opportunities for our students.
- Our state-of-the-art 265,000-square-foot facility promotes project-based learning and interdisciplinary instruction with a motion capture studio, an aquaponics lab, a 200-seat theater, two ballet studios, four science labs, four music studios, two fine arts studios, and an engineering and robotics lab.
Admissions PolicyThe admissions process is conducted through a lottery system. The lottery will take place on February 9, 2022 for the 2022-2023 school year. The application deadline for this lottery is January 24, 2022. Kindergarten applications must be 5 years old by September 1st of each school year.
The Vine Street Campus serves students in grades 6 to 12. See East and West Campuses for grades K to 5.
Accreditations and Honors
- Recognized as a Top Public High School in Philadelphia, 2020, Philadelphia Magazine
- Philadelphia Performing Arts has a 99% graduation rate and 97% college acceptance rate.
- Students have participated in All City Choir and Orchestra with a student winning 2nd place in the Concerto competition in 2020.
- Winner B101 Christmas Choir Competition, 9th-12th Grade Division.
- Performing Arts was recognized by George Lucas's education foundation, Edutopia.
- Performing Arts is recognized as an Apple Distinguished School and is leading PDE's move towards writing the state standards in curriculum in iTunes U.
- Teams of students competed successfully as Finalists and First & Second Prize Winners at three University of Pennsylvania Wharton competitions.
- High school students participate in dual enrollment programs with Drexel University, University of the Arts, Cabrini College, University of Pennsylvania, Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth, and Community College of Philadelphia; students also have the opportunity to enroll in a course called, "Coded by Kids," which teaches coding to students.
- Students received two gold medals and one certificate of recognition in Le Grand Concours (National French Contest), 2015.
Hours of Operation
|Mon||7:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|Tues||7:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|Wed||7:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|Thur||7:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|Fri||7:00 AM - 3:30 PM|