Science Leadership Academy Middle School (SLA-MS)
- How do we learn?
- What can we create?
- What does it mean to lead?
- These three questions form the basis of instruction at the Science Leadership Academy Middle School. Science Leadership Academy Middle School, an Inquiry School, is being developed as expansion of the original Science Leadership Academy model.
- Science Leadership Academy Middle School (SLA-MS) is a new, inquiry-driven, project based, technology infused school opening in Fall 2016 serving grade 5. Located in West Philadelphia, students at SLA-MS will learn in a project-based environment where the core values of inquiry, research, collaboration, presentation, and reflection are emphasized in all classes. Developed in partnership with Drexel University, The Franklin Institute, and the Academy of Natural Sciences with their commitment to inquiry-based and hands-on-learning, SLA-MS will provide vigorous, well-rounded curriculum in all subjects with a focus on science, technology, mathematics and the entrepreneurial spirit.
- At SLA-MS, learning is not just something that happens between 8:30am and 3:00pm, but continuous process that expands beyond the four walls of the classroom into every facets of our lives.
Points Of Pride
- SLA-MS is the first non-selective admission school in the Science Leadership Academy family. We will build a school environment that is developmentally responsive, challenging, empowering, and equitable.
- The Curriculum Instruction and Assessment will: value the unique characteristics of adolescents; engage in active and purposeful learning; offer a challenging, exploratory, integrative and relevant experience; employ diverse teaching and learning methods
- The Culture and Community will: be inviting, safe, inclusive and supportive of all members of the learning community; guide each student's academic and personal development by an advisor; involve the families in the education of their children; include the community and business partners
There are no admission requirements for this school. We are part of the District-wide lottery. Applicants must submit an application online with the School District of Philadelphia's Office of Student Enrollment and Placement. Applications for the 2018-19 school year must be complete by November 13, 2016.
Accreditations and Honors
Hours of Operation