The Philadelphia Charter School for Arts and Sciences (A String Theory School)
MissionTo educate each student according to age and development so that learning and growth are united; to integrate the developing mind and body of the student through academics and the performing arts and sciences; to ensure each student's excellence in core and academic skills; to awaken and preserve the spirit of our students through the visual and digital arts, vocal arts, instrumental music, creative writing, classical ballet, foreign language, innovations in the field of science, all intertwined with technology, and; to nourish this spirit and curiosity so that students continue to flourish long after the end of formal training.
Points Of Pride
- In addition to the standard academic courses, our curriculum offers 7 arts and science based courses to K-4th grade students: Innovations in Science; Creative Writing; Visual Arts; Instrumental Music (strings, band, percussion); Vocal Music; Classical Ballet; French Language.
- Our Majors Program (grades 5th-8th) enables students to cultivate knowledge and skill in an artistic or academic content area of study. Major courses involve various performing arts, visual arts, language arts, and S.T.E.M. Students spend 90 minutes each day in their major.
- The school cultivates partnerships with all the major performing arts organizations in the city (see our various outreach programs), and our students are provided the opportunity to perform at major, professional venues, such as an annual performance at the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts.
- Students use a variety of technology-based programs for individualized instruction. The school is 1:1 iPad for all students. Teachers utilize iTunes U to create content for courses and curriculum. Students can work on remediation, grade level, and/or advanced academic content.
- The school implemented a co-teaching model, in which a regular Education and a Special Education/basic skills or ELL teacher work together in the classroom; therefore, students benefit from both a content expert and a strategy expert in the classroom.
The School District of Philadelphia has dictated that admission into the school must be governed by catchment area (attendance zone). Any school-aged child residing in the designated catchment area is eligible for admission based on current enrollment numbers for any particular grade throughout the academic school year. Kindergarten applicants must be 5 years old by September 1st of each school year.
Accreditations and Honors
- Music in the Park awards - 2017 for percussion and vocals
- SPECAL (South-Eastern Pennsylvania Charter Athletic League) boys varsity basketball champions in 2013, 2016, and 2017
- 2014 Science Olympiad- 1st Place
- 2014 SPECAL (South-Eastern Pennsylvania Charter Athletic League) junior varsity boys basketball champions
Hours of Operation
|Mon||7:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|Tues||7:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|Wed||7:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|Thur||7:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|Fri||7:00 AM - 3:30 PM|